New York City has introduced the Construction Safety Act in reaction to the recent crane and construction accidents. The rules are poised to make construction sites safer by reducing safety violations and strengthening crane regulations.
New rules regarding cranes include:
- Requiring the installation of safety equipment on cranes including
- GPS trackers,
- Black boxes to record data,
- Devices for measuring wind speed.
- In addition the bill will phase out older cranes by imposing an age limit on cranes operating in NY City
- Lastly, the Department of Buildings will require a trained lift director to be onsite during crane operations.
For more information: http://council.nyc.gov/press/2017/01/13/1348/